Friday, February 3, 2012

Day Nine:: Back to Work

Today was my first full day at The Job since Day One.

Which means it was another 10.5 hour day at The Job.  For the last month I've been trying very hard to make sure that I stand up while working.  Not just, as the rules suggest, while there are customers present.  The whole day.  The .5 hours is spent on lunch break, so I did sit then.  Otherwise I sat a total of 6 minutes just to give my feet a break. 

Why do I do this?

Sitting: 111 kcal/hour
Desk work: 118 kcal/hour
Standing: 158 kcal/hour
Standing while doing desk work: 165 kcal/hour

There are just little things you can do to burn a few extra calories a day.  And since when I have long days like that, it really cuts into my motivation and time to exercise, standing really makes a (47 kcal/hour) difference.

Normally, this is very hard for me to do and I sit 5 minutes or so an hour because my body just feels very worn out.  Today I did not feel that at all.  Also, the way I talked to customers was not only more cheerful, but it also more focused and I was able to solve their problems more efficiently.  Not that I'm not a friendly person, but I was always so worried about trying to remember what I had learned in training and recently about certain things that I wasn't as focused on my cheerfulness.  Today though, it came so easily to me that I made sure to keep eye contact and didn't feel like I needed to reference my cheat sheets or the computer or other staff to effectively answer their questions. 

Also, when I had an angry customer,(you know, the kind that decides that if something is wrong with their account it is never their own fault and that who ever is in front of them should now take the blame) it didn't bother me as much.  Sometimes it would effect my attitude that someone was that blatantly rude to me (it never used to a year+ ago) but today I was very able to quickly put that behind me.

When I got home I worked out a bit in our brand new home gym stationary bike (woo) and of course watched the Big Bang Theory. I then wrote for a bit (but obviously not in my blog....sorry about the delay of posts). And went to bed.  And slept like a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment